Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Starter Survival Food Storage

Starting a food storage inventory for survival is not a difficult task. 

*
Staple foods for your survival food storage pantry.
Tonight I stopped by the market and added to my reserves.
*

When I looked at the goods I selected I thought this would be a great starter list for anyone who has yet to begin with planning food storage.

*
This list are your basic staples. With these simple  items you have a base to build on and a few things that will be used for baking bread and other essentials. 
*

Yes, there are rice and beans here, but they are a great source of protein and carbohydrates. This can be a good way to begin stocking up and for about $75 at your local Walmart. I chose the most economically priced items for the dollar. You can add to this list week by week at about $25 dollars per pass at the grocers and have what you need for a month or more in just a few weeks time. Let me share some ideas with you. 
*
*

Basic List for Storage - Dry Goods


  • 1 - 25 pound bag of flour
  • 1 - 10 pound bag of sugar
  • 1 - 20 pound bag of pinto beans
  • 1 - 20 pound bag of rice
  • 5 - pounds of elbow macaroni
  • 2 - Boxes w/ 10 packets of Instant Oatmeal
  • 2 - 1 pound bag of lentils
  • 3 -  pounds of rotini 
  • 3 - pounds of egg noodles
  • 3 - small honey containers
  • 2 - peanut butter
  • 2 - Packets of Yeast



Carbohydrates are important energy sources


The reason I bought the pasta is I needed to add more goods to my grain group as I have depleted my stash and on a good week I supplement some of the categories I need to replenish. I use this food in my cooking weekly so it can stay rotated. I do not store anything I will not eat. 

These pasta items can be made into pasta salad with just oil and vinegar and dehydrated veggies in them or made into a goulash. They can be added to soups or mixed with a powdered cheese sauce and complimented with canned ham or chicken. There is a variety of meals you can make from these items. They can be prepared over a sterno can burner or a wood fire if needs me. 

Once prepared they can keep for several days if kept cool.
*
*
*

Flour And Sugar In Bulk


The flour and sugar are a must have. These items will constitute a bulk of your staple items. The flour is for baking bread and tortillas and other bread like items like banana bread! It can be used for gravy and biscuits.


Sugar is a main ingredient in most baking or treat recipes so I like to have a lot of it on hand. I generally don't use it a lot for drink mixes but it helps make that sweet tea we all love. Kept in bulk and in stock we always have a source of quick energy.


Beans and Lentils

The lentils I add to my bean soups. With the beans and lentils alone, and about 4 tablespoons of onion flakes all I need is water and slow cooking for a great tasting soup. A batch of that gets picked at for a day or two then turned into chili. You wouldn't believe there isn't any meat in it! The lentils add almost a beefy flavor to the mix. Served over rice you have a filling meal item. 
*
*
*

What Other Foods Can I Store?

I would recommend adding powdered milk, gallons upon gallons of water, and a few cases of tomato sauce and canned veggies, fruits, and meats to the above list. Building the menu comes next. What meals can yo make quickly and easily from these food items? Add a few tidbits for flavoring -- your favorite herbs, spices, and condiments that will keep on the shelf well while sealed.

There is so much more I could tell you about food storage and I have a few articles published about it. If you would like to know more about how to store these foods when you get them home, read more here 


For more about the food groups and recipes, tips, and other facts see the site:


If you look at what is happening in the news, the potential for disasters or crisis is always close at hand. Insure your family has a decent supply of food available if something does happen. Emergency food storage planning covers your family's nutritional needs in a crisis. It is also a way to keep the food budget in check. Oh, and hey, it also is a way to have everything you need on hand to make the family's favorite baked items!

Stock, rotate, use, enjoy!

What item would you add to a beginner food storage list?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Guestbook - Comments & Review