Friday, June 7, 2013

Back To The Survival Container Garden

The sun is starting to brutalize my survival container garden so it is going to have to be shifted sometime in the next few days. 

*

The peppers and tomatoes are hanging their leaves in the afternoons but are bouncing back in the shade of the evening. I still have everything growing and am tending to it daily.

*

The Weather In Vegas For Gardening Is A Challenge

*
Summer weather in Las Vegas will kill most plants It is the biggest challenge we have for gardening. I have some shady areas on my patio so I will move herbs and other plants that will accept diffused lighting. The system I installed for drip irrigation watering is doing wonders for my schedule. It is useful for flooding out the root systems when I do not want to water each plant specifically. I use it in the mornings if I am awake. Thankfully the pump that runs it is quiet. I still have to carry buckets to the porch, but at least I only have to pour them into the container that holds the pump.

There is more information about this here: Drip System Irrigation For Container Gardens

Banana Peppers Have Popped!
My Banana Peppers are finally popping for me. I think this image is really strange so felt compelled to share it all over the place! I am happy with this plant and it looks strangely happy with me. This was an easy to grow vegetable plant. I just set them into an 18" pot. There are 3 plants in this pot. They seem to have gotten along pretty well and not over powered each other so I left them as is.

Settle the bottom of the pot with stones or gravel to keep in the soil and plant a starter plant level with the soil surface. Leave about 4 to 6 inches of room in the container so you can flood out the pot. The containers tend to dry out and you want them to stay moist but not soggy for your roots. Set a catch basin under them so they have a little humidity to supplement the heat and catch any over flow.

My porch is a second story patio and the new neighbors discovered a gardener above them when they moved in. They were not happy with the dripping water coming off of the deck, so I am carefully monitoring what I need to prevent this. My last neighbor didn't have any issues with it, but I do not want to be a nuisance to the new residents. When the cool weather comes back around I will be sealing the area and deck so this does not happen. Wait till it rains.... that leaking I can't prevent.


Fertilizing In A Container Garden
I fertilize every month and it is time to do so again. This time I mixed the feed with the watering cycle and dumped it into the water reservoir for the drip system pump. It dripped out nicely to all the plants and I did not have to keep mixing. The container I used holds about 6 gallons of water at the same time so I added a mix of one gallon according to the directions on the Miracle Grow package. It weakened the solution, but that is ok in a container garden. It will not be too strong as to burn these tender plantings.


What are some of the odd plants you are growing? I would love to hear about them!

Thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guestbook - Comments & Review